Subject: Re: XILINX XACT 6.0.0 Tools flaky
From: tliehe@rainbow.rmii.com (Tom Liehe)
Date: 30 Jan 1996 17:20:24 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I've been discussing this topic via email with a person who does not
wish to be indentified, but who has provided the following comment
with permission for me to post it:

Xilinx hasn't changed the structure of their core tools for many years
as you can tell by watching what the programs do, especially if you
are familiar with PPR's intermediate files from the hard macro
days. Porting this struct to the Windows DOS box seems to us
advanced users a bad technical decision as far as robustness and
performance, but given the architecture of their existing tools it makes
some sense that perhaps they couldn't have done anything different to
ship a Windows product in the near term. My solution is just not to use
the Windows interface. XACT 5.2 under DOS works just fine.

It will be interesting to see how the new Neocad based tools
work. Could it be that Xilinx bought Neocad strictly because they
know how to write software better, as opposed to how to write better
software?
--
Tom Liehe - tliehe@rmi.net - toml@metrum.com

Article: 2726