Subject: Re: vector product minimization problem
From: Rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:34:19 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Stanley Chow wrote:

> In article <35DCA3C7.9A810F57@visicom.com>,
> John L. Smith <jsmith@visicom.com> wrote:
> >> z=x6 + x7
> >> y=x1 + x3 + x5 + x7 + 2*(x2 + x3 + z) + 4*(x4 + x5 + z + 2*x8)
> >>
> >> Can you get less than 11?
> >
> >I don't think so Dan, add up the number of 1-bits (or 0-bits +1 if this isless) in
> >the co-efficients, then subtract 1 (because you always start with
> >one):
> >
> >coef:               1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
> >#of adds(or subs):  1 1 2 1 2 2 2 1  -> Total-1 = 11
>
> This is not a true lower bound.
>
> It is possible for a single addition to produce two bit, for exmaple:
>
>    x = a+b
>    y = 2x + x   = 3a+3b
>    z = 4y + y   = 15a + 15b
>
> In three additions, the result has 8 one-bits.

Stanley,

No, this is not a lower bound. Also John's calculation is wrong. He
shows 2 bits set in the coefficient 7. It should be three bits giving a
total of 13 bits with 12 adders. But this gives you the upper bound
actually.

In order to use fewer adders, you need to take advantage of common bits
in the coefficients. The above exaple takes advantage of the 2 and the 4
bits common to both the 6 and the 7 coefficients. This is shown in the
expression z = x6 + x7. This allows the result of this addition to be
used in two places from the original expression eliminating one adder.

That is also what you have shown in your example where you have
eliminated 4 adders by using this process twice.

I think that you can see this by expressing each product as a sum of the
products of the binary coefficients and the variable. Then find an
optimal grouping of coefficients that eliminates additions. Of course
this is not an algorithm. But I think this is the mathmatical basis for
finding one. You need to search this space for optimal groupings.

--

Rick Collins

redsp@XYusa.net

remove the XY to email me.