Subject: Re: Cloning someone else's IP core
From: "Kevin Neilson" <kevin_neilson@removethis-yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 19:48:25 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In the documentary "Triumph of the Nerds," Robert Cringely retells the
interesting story of how the first PC was cloned by Compaq and this sheds
some light on the legalities of reverse engineering.  IBM had made the PC
with completely off-the-shelf parts with the exception of the BIOS.  IBM
thought this BIOS would keep their architecture from being copied.  Compaq
had a bunch of engineers write a spec on the BIOS ROM which described its
functionality.  Then a group of "virgin" engineers that had never opened an
IBM PC were put in a room for 2 months with the spec (sequestered from the
world) until they created a functionally equivalent BIOS.  All legal.  This
cost $2 million.  Then Compaq made a clone had the best first-year sales in
history.

"Mike Treseler" <mike.treseler@flukenetworks.com> wrote in message
> Kevin Brace wrote:
> >
> > I will like to know what happens when someone designs a compatible IP
> > core of someone else's IP core?
>
> If they write their own source code, I expect it would be ok.
>
> > It looks like already a company called AMI Semiconductor
> > cloned Xilinx's LogiCORE PCI IP core according to this EE Times
> > article.
> > http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010907S0103
>
> The article describes a core netlist conversion where the
> customer didn't own the source code.
> This is a good example of why you want to get the
> source code if you buy a core.
>
> > Here is the actual product page for AMI Semiconductor's Xilinx
> > compatible PCI IP core.
> >
> > http://www.amis.com/trans/xilinx-pci.cfm
> >
> > Despite the fact the AMI Semiconductor cloned Xilinx's PCI IP core, it
> > looks like Xilinx hasn't taken any legal action against AMI
> > Semiconductor.
> > Does that mean that the IP core vendor has no way from stopping
> > someone from cloning their IP cores?
>
> AMI is selling their own source code here.
> This is no different than AMI second-sourcing an IC.
>
>         --Mike Treseler

Article: 36201