Subject: Re: FPGA with 2 JTAG ports
From: "Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:19:54 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
> > fpgavhdl@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Can an FPGA have two JTAG ports for programming an FPGA chip?
> > >
> > > One is conected thro XCf02s to the FPGA and the other is directly
> > > connected to the FPGA (XC3S400).
> > >
> > > What is the significance of having two ports?
> > >
> > > What files are used for programming this FPGA thro each of those
> ports?

similar case is used in Altium livedesing, there a special 2 port Xilinx
compatible cable is used
the xilinx JTAG pins go the FPGA normal JTAG pins the secondary JTAG goes to
4
general purpose pins on the FPGA, those 4 pins are connected to JTAG TAP
controller
ip core inside the FPGA (made from logic resources), this secondary 'soft
TAP' is used
to control the on chip logic analyzer and that kind of stuff

not sure if that was the answer you wanted

antti

Article: 82076