Subject: Re: FPGA with fully asynchronous RAM
From: ibis@tiscalinet.de (E. Backhus)
Date: 16 Jul 2004 01:17:12 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi everybody,
while you are discussing asynchronous designs on FPGAs...

Has anybody made experience with the balsa tools?

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/apt/projects/tools/balsa/

And YES! todays FPGAs are designed to work synchronously,
but there are asynchronous chips around (e.g. part of the SPARC 2i and
other µP)
that seem to work sufficently. So, while it's still hard work its not
impossible to do..
My final question is...when will there be FPGAs with C-Elements etc.
??
(Small market at this time, I think :-) )

Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com> wrote in message news:<40F7154E.794740D5@andraka.com>...
> I'm not.  FPGAs are specifically designed for synchronous logic designs.
> While an async design can be done if done very carefully, the lack of support
> for this by the tools makes it excruciating at best.  Every once in a while
> someone comes along with the bright idea to use an FPGA as a platform for
> async logic experiments.  A search of the literature should provide a trail of
> efforts that al come to the same conclusion: that the tools and FPGAs don't
> support it.  There are plenty of academics that have already plowed this
> path.  Read their work and be forewarned.

Article: 71376